JIPS : JUNOS Intrusion Prevention System
- Duration: :2 days
- Test Level: 2
- Certifications: JNCIP-SEC
- Price: $1,595.00
- Exams: JN0-633
This two-day course is designed to provide an introduction to the Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) feature set available on the Juniper Networks SRX Series Services Gateway. The course covers concepts, ideas, and terminology relating to providing intrusion prevention using the SRX Series platform. Hands-on labs offer students the opportunity to configure various IPS features and to test and analyze those functions.
The primary audiences for this course are individuals responsible for configuring and monitoring the IPS aspects of SRX devices.
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to understand the concepts related to Intrusion Prevention and implement the basic functions and features available on the SRX platform with IPS. During the course, students will have the opportunity to configure Intrusion Prevention features on an SRX device.
- Explain the terms and concepts related to intrusion prevention.
- Describe general types of intrusions and network penetration steps.
- Explain how scanning can be used to gather information about target networks.
- Define and describe the terminology that comprises Juniper Networks IPS functionality.
- Describe the basic functions and features available on the SRX Series platform that provide IPS functionality.
- Describe how to access the SRX Series Services Gateways with IPS functionality for configuration and management.
- Describe the steps that the IPS engine takes when inspecting packets.
- Configure the SRX Series Services Gateways for IPS functionality.
- Describe the components of IPS rules and rulebases.
- Configure an IPS exempt rule.
- Explain the types of signature-based attacks.
- Configure a custom signature attack object.
- Describe the uses of custom signatures and how to configure them.
- Describe commonly used evasion techniques and how to block them.
- Explain the mechanisms available on the SRX Series Services Gateway to detect and block DoS and DDoS attacks.
- Configure screens to block IP spoofing and SYN flooding.
- Describe additional security flow protection mechanisms.
- Demonstrate how the SRX Series device performs TCP SYN checking.
- Explain the STRM capabilities for capturing, logging, and reporting network traffic.
- Describe the logging and reporting capabilities available for SRX IP functionality within STRM.
Chapter 1 Introduction
Chapter 2 Introduction to Intrusion Prevention Systems
- Network Asset Protection
- Intrusion Attack Methods
- Intrusion Prevention Systems
- IPS Traffic Inspection Walkthrough
Chapter 3 IPS Policy and Initial Configuration
- SRX IPS Requirements
- IPS Operation Modes
- Basic IPS Policy Review
- Basic IPS Policy Lab
Chapter 4 IPS Rulebase Operations
- Rulebase Operations
- IPS Rules
- Terminal Rules
- IP Actions
- Configuring IPS Rulebases Lab
Chapter 5 Custom Attack Objects
- Predefined Attack Objects
- Custom Attack Objects
- Fine-Tuning the IPS Policy
- Custom Signatures Lab
Chapter 6 Additional Attack Protection Mechanisms
- Scan Prevention
- Blocking Evasion and DoS Attacks
- Security Flow Protection Mechanisms
- Security Flow Protection Mechanisms Lab
Chapter 7 IPS Logging and Reporting
- Junos Syslog and Operational Commands
- STRM IPS Logging
- IPS Logging Lab
Students should have basic networking knowledge, an understanding of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) reference model and an understanding of the TCP/IP protocol suite. Students should also attend the Introduction to the Junos Operating System (IJOS) course, the JUNOS Routing Essentials (JRE) course, and the Junos for Security Platforms (JSEC) course, or students must have equivalent experience prior to attending this class